Universal Theme Patcher applies changes to Windows XP, Vista or 7 that allow you to use unofficial themes and change the way Windows looks.
This is a portable application, which means Universal Theme Patcher doesn’t require installation, and also will run from a USB drive. When you run the EXE file, it will first tell you whether you need to apply patches to your system, then a further window opens with three areas, each with Patch and Restore buttons.
1. Can oprate in normal mode. Do not need to enter safe mode.
2. Choose the corresponding patcher based on you Windows:
For 32bit(x86): UniversalThemePatcher-x86.exe
For 64bit(amd64): UniversalThemePatcher-x64.exe
3. Require administrator rights, UAC turn off. Right-click the exe file, select Run as Administrator.
4. XP/2003 only need to patch one file: uxtheme.dll
2008/Vista/Windows 7 6519 need to patch 3 files: uxtheme.dll, themeui.dll, shsvcs.dll
Windows 7 6801 need to patch 3 files: uxtheme.dll, themeui.dll, themeservice.dll
Sometimes, in x64 Windows, you need to patch 2 copies of files:
using UniversalThemePatcher-x64.exe to patch the 64bit files in \windows\system32;
and using UniversalThemePatcher-x86.exe to patch the 32bit files in \windows\syswow64.
5. After patch, Restart computer to take effect.
6. You can run program with argument “-silent” to patch in silent mode.